TMJ Relief Thousand Oaks
When complications arise surrounding the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) and its surrounding facial muscles, you may experience pain and discomfort around your jaw, face, and neck. Symptoms of TMJ disorder may include: headaches, trouble chewing, and painful clicking or popping of the jaw. Allowing the jaw to rest for a couple of weeks often results in the disappearing of most TMJ disorder symptoms. If symptoms persist, our expert in TMJ relief in Thousand Oaks may first suggest you pursue self-care for your TMJ disorder.
• Eat a diet of soft foods like yogurt, oatmeal, and soups. These foods require minimal chewing and allow your jaw to rest and recover from stress. Avoid chewing gum, hard candy, and chewy foods.
• Take anti-inflammatory pain medications like aspirin, Tylenol, and Advil. These may ease the pain and discomfort related to TMJ disorder.
• Apply a warm compress to the painful area for 20 minute intervals. Afterward, try gently opening and closing your jaw to restore its strength and normal functioning capacity.
• Doctor-prescribed pain relievers. If over-the-counter drugs fail to alleviate jaw pain, our Thousand Oaks TMJ relief expert may prescribe stronger pain medicine.
• Muscle relaxants, used for a few days or weeks at a time, can help relieve TMJ-related pain around the facial muscles.
• Sedatives are especially useful for patients suffering from nighttime teeth clenching or bruxism.
Thousand Oaks TMJ Relief
When medical pain relievers fail to lessen discomfort, our expert in TMJ relief in Thousand Oaks may suggest therapies for your TMJ disorder that may include:
• Bite guards. Wearing a device placed in the mouth and over the teeth often provides relief from TMJ disorders.
• Physical therapy. This may include ultrasound, moist heat, ice, and jaw muscle exercises.
• Counseling. Certain physical or emotional factors may contribute to jaw-related complications like TMJ disorder. Addressing these issues often helps lessen the effects of TMJ disorder.
If you are experiencing pain related to the TMJ and would like to receive treatment for this disorder, call our office today to schedule a consultation with our Thousand Oaks TMJ relief expert.
Back to Articles